Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Job Fair Etiquette For The Jobless Everyman and Everywoman!

     When I attend job fairs I'm dressed in my best. I am an employer looking for solid candidates with the right mix of skill sets and experience. I'm bringing my A-Game. I will carry myself much differently when I walk in and when I walk out than any other day in the office. I will speak in a language suited to my position and to the task at hand. I am more in-tune to my vocabulary, and my vernacular will be reflecting the audience I'm in.
     Now, I do quite a few job fairs each year, especially in the Spring. I will look for the ones that are diversified and professional, but I won't rule out the ones that reach out to the jobless community who have larger and more pressing needs for employment. I actually enjoy these because I can relax and be myself more and there's less pressure to 'perform'. However, my expectations from one to the next are  no different. I'm pretty sure it's the same no matter where you go.
     I recently attened two job fairs aimed at helping low-income residents. I had two different experiences. One, I could tell, was giving cadidates the right expectations and guidelines, the other was not. However, dress code is common sense, people. Why would you come to any job fair with a backwards cap, underwear exposed and grease stains on your shirt? Don't think I intend to spend energy going into the details of what I can offer you. I'm waiting until you grab the free candy from my table and leave. I don't care if you have jeans on, they better fit, be clean and the right size. Your shirt better be appropriate and the best one you have in your closet. Clean up expecting to find a job! There's nothing wrong with heading up to the local Salvation Army or Goodwill to get a job fair outfit, either. 
     Also, keep in mind you're not at a flea market. Don't browse the tables and talk to the employers as if they're selling something. 'So, what do have that I want?' You better start over! We're there because we expect you to sell yourself to us. What can you offer us? It doesn't work the other way around. We have nothing to lose, you do. Greet the employers with a handshake and a smile, clean breath and very light cologne or perfume. Hand us a resume and tell us a little bit about yourself. Don't stand too close. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Chances are the employer standing behind the table loves what they do, believes in the company they're representing and will tell you anything you want to know. Don't just walk by like you're there for the free water bottle.
     There seems to be a huge disconnect within the jobless community. There are those who 'had' a job, lost it and are steadily losing their dignity and their assets. They are hungry and they know the value of a good job. They're not comfortable being in debt, receiving assistance from the government or buying unhealthy food for their family because organic or fresh just isn't affordable. Marvin isn't their Facebook friend. They don't stand at the table, a hand on their hip, and say, 'I applied to your company and you never hired me. Why?' Well, let's be honest, someone else was better. Someone else applied, followed up, called, faxed a resume, etc. They also applied to multiple companies and even dressed to the nines for the interviews. Face it, someone else was better suited for the job. THAT is why you didn't hear anything. Think back and ask yourself, what could you have done better? Trust me, it wasn't them...it was you.
     That brings up a good point. How do you find out what you did or didn't do in the interview that pushed them to choose someone else? You can always follow up with their HR representative, call the person who interviewed you or mail a letter asking for feedback. If you tell them you're looking for feedback for your own personal growth you may just get it. The next thing would be to fix what went wrong. Do you have nervous 'tells' that got on the interviewers nerves? Did you talk too much? Did you answer the questions properly? Did you use examples for your answers to make them personal? Did you dress appropriately? Did you check your phone in the interview? Did you answer questions with, 'I don't know.' or 'That's never happened to me before.' Did you freeze during the questions?
     The bottom line, don't attend job fairs unless you're willing to put 100% effort into it. Be the best YOU that you can be and bring your A-Game! This is a great networking opportunity. Remember why you're there. If you love living in poverty with your spouse and children, receiving help from the local church and becoming more and more depressed and withdrawn, then don't read one more blog. The rest of you who care about your future, want to be a productive member of society and earn a living...please read and let me know if it helped you! And let me know when you land that job!

No comments:

Post a Comment